With Klarna, your customer can make a deferred payment or make a payment in instalments. You can link Klarna to your Mollie account by installing the Orders API.
What you need to know in advance
At the moment, Klarna products via Mollie are only available to customers in the EEA. If you activate any Klarna payment methods, your customers in the UK will not be able to pay with these methods. Stay tuned—we are working on making Klarna available for UK customers soon.
We support the following Klarna products:
Klarna: Pay later
If your customer pays with Pay Later, they can choose to pay for their purchase within 30 days of it being shipped. For an additional fee, your customer can extend this to 60 days.
Pay Later is available for customers residing in these countries:
- The Netherlands (Achteraf betalen)
- Belgium (Betalen binnen 21 dagen; Paiement dans 21 jours)
- Germany (Rechnung)
- Austria (Rechnung)
- Finland (Maksa myöhemmin)
- France (Payer en 3 fois sans frais)
- Sweden (Få först. Betala sen.)
- Denmark (Køb nu. Betal senere.)
- Norway (Få først. Betal senere.)
Klarna: Slice it
Slice it allows your customers to pay in 3 to 36 instalments. Klarna does a credit check to see if your customer is eligible for this payment method.
Slice it is available for customers residing in these countries:
- The Netherlands (Betaal in 3 delen)
- Germany (Ratenkauf)
- Finland (Pilko se)
- Austria (Ratenkauf)
- Sweden (Dela upp.)
- Norway (Del opp.)
- Denmark (Betal i 3 dele)
- Italy (Paga in 3 rate senza interessi)
- Spain (Paga en 3 cuotas sin interés)
- Portugal (3 pagamentos sem juros)
Klarna: Pay now
With Pay now, customers can pay for one-off transactions securely and immediately using their own online banking details through bank transfers or direct debit orders. As a merchant, you’re protected against customer non-payment risk and are paid out 5 business days after the order is shipped.
Pay now is available for customers residing in these countries:
- The Netherlands (Betaal nu)
- Germany (Pay now)
- Austria (Pay now)
- *Belgium (Betaal nu)
- *Finland (Verkkopankki- ja korttimaksu)
- Sweden (Banköverföring)
- Italy (Paga ora)
- Spain (Paga ahora)
* Pay now via direct debit is not available for these countries.
Klarna: Pay in 3
Klarna: Pay in 3 is available for customers residing in The Netherlands and France.
With Klarna: Pay in 3 customers can pay securely and immediately using their VISA or Mastercard Credit/Debit Card or Direct Debit over 3 interest free instalments. As a merchant, you are protected against customer non-payment risk and are paid out 5 business days after you mark the order as shipped. Thanks to the real-time transaction confirmation that you’ll receive, you can dispatch the goods to your customers immediately and reap the rewards of payout guarantees.
You can link Klarna to your Mollie account by installing the Orders API or installing a plugin for your webshop:
- Download and install the Orders API or install a plugin for your ready-made webshop.
- Open your Mollie Dashboard.
- Go to Settings > Website profiles > Payment methods.
- Select Klarna: Pay later, Klarna: Slice it, Klarna: Pay in 3 and/or Klarna: Pay now.
We check your request and will give you a confirmation in 5-7 business days.
Visible payment method name during checkout
When you link the payment method to your account, you’ll see the English name: Pay later, Slice it or Pay now. If you want to display the translated name to your customers during checkout:
- Pass Locale in the Methods API.
- Add the translated name to your database or plugin configuration. You can find the name of the Klarna products in different languages above.
Payment risks and fraud
Klarna takes responsibility for various payment risks and possible fraud. However, you must comply with Klarna’s terms and conditions, such as that:
- You can provide Klarna with a proof of shipment.
- You can answer within 24 hours if Klarna contacts you.
You can only handle your Klarna disputes in the Klarna Merchant Portal, this cannot be done in your Mollie Dashboard, so make sure to activate the Klarna Merchant Portal. This is where Klarna communicates with you, and allows you to handle disputes before they turn into chargebacks. If you lose the dispute, the transaction will be charged back and you cannot revert this.
Good to know
- Klarna is supported by several plugins.
- You can find Klarna's Terms and Conditions on their website: United Kingdom | The Netherlands | Germany | Belgium | France | Austria | Finland.