SOFORT Banking is a payment method that arranges the transaction between you and your customer. It’s a popular payment method in Germany. You can activate SOFORT payments for your website in your Mollie Dashboard.
Receiving money via SOFORT
You can add SOFORT banking to your website or web shop via Profiles in your Mollie account. This is how you receive your money if your customer uses a SOFORT payment:
- The customer pays via SOFORT with their own bank.
- The transaction costs for a SOFORT payment are 0.9% of the transaction amount plus a fixed charge of € 0,25.
- Within 2 business days, we usually receive the money from SOFORT.
- We will pay out your funds on your next selected payment date.
Countries that use SOFORT
You can only accept Euro (€) payments when using Sofort via Mollie. Customers with a bank account in the following countries can use SOFORT:
- The Netherlands
As soon as Mollie receives the payment from your customer, the transaction can not be cancelled. It’s important to note, however, that this process takes a few days.
Each status explained:
- PAID: you’ll see this status in your Mollie Dashboard as soon as the transaction has been authorised by the customer’s bank. It will take an additional 2-5 days for the payment to reflect with Mollie. During this time, the SOFORT payment is not guaranteed and could be cancelled or bounce*.
*Here are some reasons a SOFORT Bank Transfer might not go through:
- The customer cancels the transaction (this is not possible in all countries, or with all banks).
- There are insufficient funds at the time the bank tries to collect the funds.
- The transaction was flagged as fraudulent and stopped by the bank in question.
- PAID OUT: as soon as Mollie receives the payment from your customer, the status in your Mollie Dashboard will be updated to ‘paid out’. This means the payment is now guaranteed.
How does the SOFORT Bank Transfer work?
- The customer logs in to their online banking to authorise the payment they’re making
- The transaction is approved and is logged in your dashboard along with a ‘paid’ status
- Final arrival of funds can take between 2 - 5 days.
- Upon receipt of payment, Mollie will update the transaction status to 'paid out'.
To minimise your risk, wait until you've received your payout before shipping the goods.
Good to know
- SOFORT is secured according to the security requirements for banks.
- Mollie does not allow SOFORT Bank Transfer payments for the following products:
- Digital gift cards
- Phone cards
- Gambling credit
- Pornographic content
Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact our support, for help.